|Ki Society Aikido. Aikido is a martial art that uses joint locks and throws as its self defense mechanisms. We use the attacker’s energy and strength against them. It is a circular, blending art that requires very little physical strength. Our style also emphasizes the mental side of the martial arts. We learn both fine and gross motor skills blend in some self defense with a little discipline and try to have fun at the same time.We teach at the Merriam Community Center see their web site for signup search for “Ki”
- We provide a safe, fun environment to learn simple Aikido techniques. We also teach dojo etiquette. Class are typically conducted in 8 week sessions for kids from 5 to 12 years old. The following is a normal agenda for Kids class.
- Warm-up or Hitori-Waza: Basic Stretching and Rolling
- Kumi-waza or Partner techniques
Step by Step break down of Aikido Technique
Practice of the Aikido technique
- One of many games to help teach mind body coordination
- Leaving the matt in a different special way for every class
- No special clothing is required. Please make sure your children do wear long pants, sweat pants work well since we do work on our knees, and a t-shirt with sleeves to protect the shoulders when rolling on the mat.
- Classes are never canceled due to weather